Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 6: A Different Kind of Passover Bondage

Today is Day 6 of the Omer. . . Ha-yom shishah yamim la-omer.


THE OMER INTERSECTION: Chesed + Yesod;  Bonds of Love.
With this day of the omer, we move beyond our individual reflection and focus to the aspect of love that recognizes that relationships are two-way streets.  To have a true relationship, we need a willing partner.  When my wife and I first got engaged, we took a "making marriage work" class because we wanted to make sure that we were doing whatever we could to maintain a healthy relationship.  One of the lasting lessons we took from that seminar is that before one can work on the issues in a relationship along with a partner, one must first work on oneself.  The past few days have hopefully prepared ourselves for this step: working with someone else - strengthening our bonds in the aspects of our loving relationships.

THE OMER CHALLENGE: 
So, how do we apply this idea?  When it comes to relationships, bonding requires time that is spent together having a shared experience.  Ultimately, those we feel closest with are those with whom we have created memories.  And while many memories just seem to happen, we also sometimes play a role in setting up those memorable moments by committing to spend time with another person, working together with a shared purpose.  So, for today, the task is: spend time with a person we love, and create a memory with them.  Remember: One of the key components to creating a memory is coming in to the experience with the intention of remembering what you are doing together.    
 
THE OMER UPDATE:
Humility can be difficult, especially when one sets out to operate primarily from such a mindset for an extended period of time.  It was a challenge at times to let things go and not need to be right, especially when working together with others to make decisions during the day.  At the same time, doing so was somewhat liberating.  I found that when I gave myself the opportunity to get away from "being right," I was a better listener.  I think I tend to operate in this mode in my work as a rabbi, but I do not know if I always model such an approach with my family and close friends.  This was a good reminder to get me back on track to being a better friend/relative/spouse.  I hope it was good for you, as well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment