Thursday, June 15, 2023

Welcome Back to Israel

We made it!!

It was hard to leave Rachel behind to heal, but she insisted and after hours in planes and airports, we made it to Tel Aviv!

For those who’ve traveled to Israel before but haven’t been for a while, it’s a whole new ballgame when it comes to getting into the country - more organized, less standing in lines that may or may not actually be lines … a good start to a new voyage.


While the actual touring had not yet started, we went to dinner at the Old Yaffo port. On our way down, we felt like we were going back in time, simpler coastal walkway with beautiful breeze coming off the Mediterranean. Historical buildings ahead made of stone, marking a rich past and history. We walked past Arab-Israeli families having barbecues and Jewish Israeli families going for walks. These normall evening moments here don’t show up on news stories. We had dinner while watching the sunset.



Then, as we made our way back, past a Krav maga style fight-dancing drum circle (wish I had taken a picture to show you - I was too in the moment and taken by the scene), we looked ahead and saw modernity.- skyscrapers and night lights, traffic and technology and lots of cranes continuing to expand on to the already impressive skyline. Our walk mirrored a balance we strive to establish in life - honor and cherish and learn from our past in order to sending and inspire and help us appreciate our present so we can contribute meaningfully and positively to the future.

On a side note: I’ve never felt so short in Israel! Usually, when I get here, I feel like I’m in the upper 50% in terms of height - a rarity for all of my 65 1/2 inches. However, the women’s Eurobasketball tournament is happening now and Tel Aviv is host city to 8 teams, at least five of which are staying at our hotel! Riding in elevators with basketball players representing their countries has been a great way to remind me that I am not tall… oh well.
It’s fun learning new languages in which to say “good luck.” Hebrew, Spanish, Italian, Dutch …


Then, we woke up to breakfast at the hotel. Breakfast when traveling in Israel is an event to itself - breads and cheeses and spreads and eggs and fruit and an entire wall of options we didn’t even explore yet because our plates were full before we even noticed it! 

After some swimming, exploring in the Carmel shuk (market) and some schawarma, it was time to meet the rest of the group and get started! It isn’t a tour, it’s a pilgrimage. We haven’t gone somewhere across the world, we’ve I come home. It’s amazing to be here sharing this land of contrast and legacy. I’ll do my best to keep up with our trip here, but might also have quick updates on my Facebook page, too. Traveling with three kids is a different experience than leading a trip by myself … so I may not be as able to update regularly. Laila tov from Tel Aviv!


No comments:

Post a Comment