Saturday, June 17, 2023

Getting Ready for Shabbat

 Touring Yaffo and going to an art fair in Tel Aviv, we really started our exploration while also getting ready for Shabbat.


Our guide, Dr Doron Wilfand, shared a great visual understanding of the historical periods of Israel’s land and the various conquering rulers throughout history. It was a good thing I told people to bring hats today! Thanks to his volunteer prop, Adaya, too!
I know these are history lessons we can learn by reading books, but it’s far more interesting when standing in it and having the beautiful view of the Mediterranean Sea behind.





While strolling down one of the fanciest neighborhoods in Yaffo, we took the first #selfiewiththerabbi - it’s wonderful to be in this place with Or Shalom family and my family, as well!


Going to the market in Yaffo, I learned something new about the art of negotiating in Israel … kids make fantastic partners! 
Adaya was looking at a little yellow mezuzah, and of course the shop keeper came up to us and started shoving all kinds of things at her. She looked and listened but felt like he was too pushy, so she started to walk away. At that point, the guy turned to me and lowered his price from 80 shekel to 30, without me even having to say a word. . . I bought it more for the memory of it, and Adaya is happy to have a new mezuzah for her room!

From there, we went to an art festival in Tel Aviv, and discovered another great thing about being here: they have things on the shelves with my name! Growing up with the name, Ari, I never found a souvenir that had my name on it. No keychain or snow globe or bottle opener, and believe me, I looked!  But here, at the art fair, maybe 5 booths in, there was a puzzle on the shelf with my name! It was in Hebrew, but still - ready-made!! Finally, I feel so seen.


We also went through the shuk, and I discovered a little stand in the middle from the Marzipan bakery in Jerusalem! IYKYK! Their chocolate rugalach is divine. I bought enough to share with the whole bus as a special Shabbat treat, so they let my shopping buddy try some … I got a picture of her first bite of it. When I asked her what she thought, she replied, “I never want to leave here…”




Then it was time to get ready for Shabbat! We joined reform congregation Bet Daniel for an outdoor service, similar to our Shabbat in the Park at Or Shalom - right along Nahal Yarkon, the river Yarkon. I learned this outdoor series was actually being funded by the Israeli government as part of the strides made by the progressive movement in Israel. It was a lovely, musical Shabbat with familiar tunes and a special concert with Israeli musician and composer, Shem-Tov Levi. I recognized some of his songs made famous by Arik Einstein. 



Shabbat Shalom from Tel Aviv!!


No comments:

Post a Comment