Friday, August 21, 2015

Elul Workout #2: Pattern-Breaking

We have an opportunity at this time of year.  The structure we move into does not need to look the same as where we have been.  If there were routines that did not work for us or that led us into poor habits for our health, for our relationships, or for our sanity, we do not need to fall right back into them.  Rather, this is the time of year, the month of Elul, during which our Jewish tradition calls upon us to make intentional choices about the ways we approach the next year.  

As I mentioned last week, if we wait until Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to do the work that it takes to change our routines, the High Holidays become a starting place 
instead of the kickoff celebration of our new, improved selves.  To maximize the impact of these High Holidays, we have to first engage in a spiritual workout and do the heavy lifting now, so that we can be in tip-top shape for the start of the year.

Elul Workout #2: Pattern-Breaking

Step 1: Take out your calendar, find a time for 10-15 minutes where you can “work-out” and copy the following steps into a time slot that works for you.  (If now is a good time,
then skip step 1)

Step 2: Take our your reflections from last week and review (If you need a reminder of what last week was about, click here)

Step 3: Reflect on the following questions (you are strongly encouraged to journal your thoughts and put them down on paper).  Be honest and avoid the temptation to become
defensive, even to yourself.
  • What has been my biggest source of pride in this past year?  What has been the biggest source of my disappointment?
  • What ways have I been less than my best self in this past year?
  • List the patterns of behavior, the structured routines I have in my life (they may involve relationships, work, health, to name a few):
    • What patterns of behavior have I just fallen into without thinking?
    • Which of these routines help me?  Do they help those around me?
    • Which of these routines hurt me?  Do they hurt those around me?
Step 4: Pick one routine to workshop for the next week – to analyze and see where there
is room to improve.  Write down some of your thoughts as to how you might create a
different approach.

May these Elul workouts bring us a step closer to a healthier, happier new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment