Saturday, April 19, 2014

OMER DAY 4: Hope

Shabbat Shalom!! Day four of the omer falls on Shabbat. Shabbat is a day on which we remove ourselves from the everyday details that often seem to shape our lives and dictate our behaviors and choices. Instead, we take a step back to dream of the world as it could be, to invite ourselves to spend a day on an Island in time, as Rabbi Heschel described.

Therefore, Day 4 of our (ac)counting involves reaching into our hearts and taking stock of the hopes we hold for ourselves, for our loved ones, for the world. Hertzl, one of the leading figures in establishing the modern state of Israel, taught, "If you will it, it is no dream." Well, if you don't allow yourself to dream, it is impossible to find the will to make any changes for the better. Dream with me?

Day 4 Journal Activity: List some of your own, personal hopes and dreams. We sometimes think we know our hopes/dreams, but it always helps to put them down on paper (or word document) so as to concretize a bit of the vague wishes we hold in our hearts.

Day 4 Activity: Share one of your hopes/dreams with someone else you love, and ask them to share with you something they are hoping for. (Key to this activity's success: make sure your wish is not a veiled request for that person to take some action of their own. I.e. "I've been dreaming of a clean corner of our bedroom on your side of the bed...hint...hint...)
(Please forgive any odd typos, grammar, or formatting... Publishing for the first time from a tablet)


Ha-yom yom r'vi-i LA omer
Today is the fourth day of the omer.


My journal entry:
  • A Cubs World Series victory (or appearance)
  • Helping my daughters grow with confidence, knowledge, courage, silliness, and love
  • Saying something original that has never before been said
  • Making someone else's life better for having known me
  • Making my life better for having known each person with whom I interact
  • Seeing Australia
  • Recording my Bauby's incredible stories
  • Playing my trumpet in front of the congregation
  • Feeling more in control of my calendar 



1 comment:

  1. My life is better for having known you. You have been with me on my personal mitzrayim journey.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete